Friday, November 03, 2006

My favorite education/learning quotes

In this post I'd like to provide a list to some of my favorite education/learning related quotes. Why? Because I think they can be used to as an reflection on what we are doing as educators and how is this affecting our students - and although thinking reflection will not by itself make big changes in our work, it can be the first step toward great new practices and ideas that can make a change.

Plato:
“Someday, in the distant future, our grandchildren's grandchildren will develop a new equivalent of our classrooms. They will spend many hours in front of boxes with fires glowing within. May they have the wisdom to know the difference between light and knowledge.”
“Do not train a child to learn by force or harshness; but direct them to it by what amuses their minds, so that you may be better able to discover with accuracy the peculiar bent of the genius of each.”

Socrates:
“Education is the kindling of a flame, not the filling of a vessel”

Chinese proverb:
“Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand.”

Oscar Wilde:
“Everybody who is incapable of learning has taken to teaching.”

Albert Einstein:
“It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education.”
“The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.”

Robert Frost:
“Education is the ability to listen to almost anything without losing your temper.”
“There are two kinds of teachers: the kind that fill you with so much quail shot that you can't move, and the kind that just gives you a little prod behind and you jump to the skies.”

Tom Bodett:
“The difference between school and life? In school, you're taught a lesson and then given a test. In life, you're given a test that teaches you a lesson.”

Roger Lewin:
“Too often students are given answers to remember, rather than problems to solve”

All quotes were found on ThinkExist.com - have fun at finding your favorite quotes!

Note: This is just an archive post. The blog has moved to a new home at blog.ialja.com, where you will also find a copy of the entire blog.